ACM SIGIR 2018
The 41st International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval
July 8-12, 2018. Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.A.
Call for Tutorials
SIGIR is the major international forum for the presentation of new research results and for the demonstration of new systems and techniques in the broad field of information access. SIGIR 2018 will take place in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, and includes a full day of tutorials on July 8, 2018.
SIGIR 2018 solicits proposals for both half and full-day tutorials covering topics relevant to the field of information retrieval and its applications. Each tutorial should cover a single topic in depth. For example, tutorials may cover an established information retrieval sub-topic (e.g. retrieval quality evaluation), introduce an emerging application of information retrieval technologies (e.g., mobile user engagement), or update the information retrieval community on recent advances in related fields (e.g., deep learning and its potential applications to IR). We are especially interested in the third category of submission.
Submissions should include a cover sheet and an extended abstract.
The cover sheet should include the following elements:
1. Title and length (either half-day, e.g. 3 hours plus breaks, or full day, e.g., 6 hours plus breaks) of the tutorial.
2. Intended audience (introductory, intermediate, advanced) and prerequisite knowledge or skills required.
3. Detailed contact information of all presenters (and indication of the main contact person).
4. Brief biography (max. 2 paragraphs) for each presenter, highlighting relevant experience in presenting tutorials, teaching grad classes, organizing summer schools, etc.
The extended abstract (no longer than 4 pages) should include the following sections:
3. Relevance to the information retrieval community and reference to tutorials in the same area at SIGIR or related conferences (including WSDM, WWW, KDD, ACL, etc.).
4. Format and detailed schedule.
5. Type of support materials to be supplied to attendees.
Tutorial proposals should be prepared in the 2017 ACM Master Article Template (see here; for LaTeX use the “sigconf” option). Proposals should be submitted in PDF via https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sigir2018tutorialsThe submissions will be reviewed by members of the Information Retrieval research community and tutorials to be presented at SIGIR 2018 will be selected by the SIGIR Program Committee.
Important Dates (Timezone: Anywhere on Earth)
Feb 26, 2018 Tutorial proposals due
March 19, 2018 Tutorials notifications
July 8, 2018 ACM SIGIR 2018, Tutorials
Jian-Yun Nie (Université de Montréal)
Mark D. Smucker (University of Waterloo)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquiries.