SIGIR Student Travel Grant Program
The SIGIR Student Travel Grant Program provides small grants to students to help cover the cost of travel, lodging and registration to the following SIGIR-sponsored conferences: SIGIR, CIKM, CHIIR, ICTIR, JCDL and WSDM.
Students must be members of ACM SIGIR to be eligible for the grants. Students must also be either (1) authors of full, short or demo papers and presenters of the work at the conference or (2) doctoral consortium participants.
Student authors of full, short and demo papers who do not present the work at the conference are not eligible for these travel grants. Student authors of workshop papers are not eligible for these travel grants.
In most cases, the travel grants will only cover a portion of the travel expenses. Our goal is to maximize the number of students we can help. If the demand exceeds the available budget, we will prioritize applicants who are full-time students at the time of the conference and those who have not received a travel grant from SIGIR in the past. These grants are given in the form of reimbursement, so students will need to plan to cover their costs upfront.
Students who receive travel grants are expected to register using the “early-bird” conference registration rates and to travel and lodge as economically as possible.
Donald B. Crouch Travel Grants
As a result of a donation made by the Singhal Family Charitable Fund, additional funding is available for support of students living and studying in developing countries who are attending the SIGIR Conference. Selections for these grants will be made based on the university location information provided in the application.
Application Process, Deadlines & Caveats
The application period for each conference (SIGIR, CIKM, CHIIR, ICTIR, JCDL and WSDM) will open directly following submission notifications and will remain open for approximately two weeks. Applicants will be notified of the outcome approximately two weeks after the close of the application period.
Links to the appropriate application forms are found below. These forms are only active during live application periods for each specific conference. All application periods close at 11:59 PM eastern time on the close date. No late applications will be accepted.
Before starting an application, students should prepare a budget with estimated travel and lodging costs as this is a required part of the application, and also have their SIGIR member number available.
- SIGIR 2015 (application form active from April 25-May 8, 2015)
- CIKM 2015 (application form active from July 5-July 20, 2015)
- ICTIR 2015 (application form active from July 15-July 30, 2015)
- WSDM 2016 (application form active from October 16-October 30, 2015)
- CHIIR 2016 (application form active from November 16-November 30, 2015)
- JCDL 2016 (application form active from March 28-April 13, 2016)
- SIGIR 2016 (application form active from April 4-April 18, 2016)
- JCDL 2016 (2nd Round) (application form active from May 1-May 15, 2016)
- ICTIR 2016 (application form active from July 5-July 20, 2016)
- CIKM 2016 (application form active from July 27-August 17, 2016)
- CHIIR 2017 (application form active from November 14-November 25, 2016)
- WSDM 2017 (application form active from November 21-December 2, 2016)
- JCDL 2017 (application form active from March 22-April 5, 2017)
- JCDL 2017 (Doctoral Consortium) (application form active from May 5-May 17, 2017)
- SIGIR 2017 (application form active from April 12-April 26, 2017)
- ICTIR 2017 (application form active from June 16-June 26, 2017)
Caveats: Please be aware that the ACM is unable to process payments that violate sanctions imposed by U.S. law. Please see http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Pages/default.aspx for a list of sanctions. All awards are subject to approval by the ACM.
If you or your advisor have questions, contact Jaime Arguello, SIGIR Student Travel Grant Program Chair (jarguell [at] email.unc.edu).